- For the Cakes
- 125g (½ cup) Ballantyne Cultured Unsalted Butter
- 225g (1 cup) caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 200g (1 ¾ cups) self-raising flour
- 110ml milk
- For Icing
- 1 tbsp Ballantyne Cultured Unsalted Butter
- 350g (3 ½ cups) icing sugar
- 25g (¼ cup) cocoa powder
- 112ml (½ cup) boiling water
- For Coating
- 200g (2 ½ cups) desiccated coconut
Heat the oven to 180°C (160° fan) . Grease a deep 20cm x 30cm baking tin and line with non-stick baking paper.
Beat together the butter, sugar and vanilla in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs until blended.
Sift in half the flour and stir in with half the milk. Repeat with the remaining flour and milk until combined.
Spoon into the tin and smooth the top. Bake for about 30 minutes, until a skewer or cocktail stick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
Cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then place on a wire rack to cool completely.
For Icing: Sift the icing sugar and cocoa into a bowl. Beat in the butter and water until smooth.
Cut the cake into 15 pieces.
Using a fork, dip one cake into the icing. Shake off excess, then toss in the coconut. Place on a wire rack.
Repeat with the remaining cakes and leave to set.